Sep 28, 2012

Making applesauce

It's that time of year again, the time when I have to can and can and can somemore.  This year I have canned green beans, raspberry jam, tomatoes, salsa, peaches, pears, sweet n sour sauce and hamburger (yeah, I know most people will think that is crazy!).  Apples are just coming on so this week I have been working with applesauce and next week I am hoping to get my apple jelly all canned.

A good friend of mine is learning how to can a few different items and really wants to can applesauce this year.  She is always calling asking questions so I thought I would put this as some info on my blog.

Step 1: Start out with at least a 5 gallon bucket full of good apples (these just need to taste good, but can be seconds), this will make 7 quarts of applesauce.

2. Wash and quarter all your apples.  If using a victorio strainer you do not need to cut the pits out of the apples.



3. Cook the apples for 10-20 minutes, just until the apples get nice and mushy

4. Run the apples through what ever kind of strainer you have.  I have a victorio strainer and it works great
5. Season your apples with sugar & cinnamon (optional) and place in your hot sterilized jars.  Process 30 minutes and whala your finished!

No comments: