Feb 23, 2012

As I set at the computer this morning wondering what to type, I had floods of information come. Yet in those floods, nothing made enough sense for me to try to put into words.

My new years resolution Make it Count is working, not always as good as I would like it to, but I am doing much better. Part of my goal was to make time with my children count, spending more time together. Hailey and I have started going to a local book club once a month, she starts volleyball next week and we have been practicing together and I have been letting her help in the kitchen more. Alyssa is my trial. She seems to zone out and not care about anything except for them wizzards on the disney channel. I still go to her class once a week as a volunteer, but I needed to let her know I care. This is why we did the valentine cookies last week... I still need help with her. Abby has become my little side kick. We play together during the day, I take her to story time at the library each week and she is getting to be a good little reader, reading to me daily. And Macey, well she gets lots of time each day, as does most two year olds.

Another part of making it count dealt with the way I spent my time. While reading through an old acquaintances blog a few weeks ago I found this chores chart from www.my3monsters.com/2011/09/housekeeping.html. I decided to give it a try and it's really working. I had to change up a few things, like it doesn't take me 30 minutes to do the daily chores (it's more like an hour) and I have a few more rooms to clean then she did. It's really helping me organize my schedule better each day and keeping my house clean is really easy.

So, to keep myself organized I have to first clean house daily, second workout, third keep a weekly menu so I only shop once a week and last remember that Macey is growing up quick and needs my time! As long as I stick to this and not to my computer I have plenty of time, I actually have had enough time to have made about 40 scrapbook pages this year already.

As for the second 1/2 of my resolution, it's good and I can really feel the effects with the spirit in our home.

Last night I tried a new recipe from this awesome blog: http://www.homesicktexan.blogspot.com/, she has lots of great recipes. It was easy and really good. My kids even loved it, so I thought I would share this with you.

Tex-Mex sloppy Joe sandwiches
Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce (I cut in half and removed seeds)
1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
1/2 bell pepper, seeds and stem removed, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
15 ounces canned tomato sauce
2 teaspoons oregano
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
Pinch of cayenne
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
12 ounces chicken broth
2 tablespoons ketchup
1/2 cup cilantro, divided (optional)
1 tablespoon lime juice
Salt and black pepper to taste
4-6 warm buns for serving
Guacamole

In a large skillet cook the meat until browned, about 10 minutes. (If you like, you can drain the extra fat once the meet is browned.) Add the onions and diced bell pepper and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 more seconds.

Meanwhile, in a blender mix the tomato sauce, chipotle chile, oregano, ground cumin, paprika, allspice, cayenne and Worcestershire sauce. Pour tomato sauce into the skillet along with the broth, ketchup and half of the cilantro (I didn't use this) . Stir until well combined.

Cook on medium-low heat uncovered for 15 minutes and then stir in the remaining cilantro and lime juice. Adjust seasonings and add salt and black pepper to taste.

Serve on warm buns with guacamole

Now I'm off to make pretzel bites (thanks Shauna for the pinterest link)with Alyssa.

No comments: