May 15, 2013

Rhubarb surprise!

Every year spring brings so much excitement and anticipation.  I love the green grass, the flowering trees and being about to see color in my flower bed.  Right now I have mini tomatoes growing in my garden, radishes popping up all over, fresh lettuce and I am eagerly awaiting the cucumber, watermelon, pumpkins and broccoli to pop us.  But in the spring one of my favorite things is the Rhubarb, not to just pick and eat but to have in a Rhubarb cobbler.  It's my favorite and I love having it for my birthday each year.  This year I'll be gone for my birthday and so I had to make this early.

Here is my recipe:

 First pick good rhubarb.  If the rhubarb gets to wide, it gets stringy and isn't as sweet when cooked

Cut the tops of the rhubarb and the end also, then wash it up really good.



Chop the rhubarb into small pieces, you will need about 4 cups:



Here's the magic ingredients that you will need to make this wonderful dessert!


So lets get started, here's how to make this:

Put the rhubarb in a bowl and pour 1 1/2 cups of sugar over the top



Next add lemon juice, salt, tapioca and almond extract (optional)



The almond extract is optional, but it adds a wonderful flavor



Mix all this together really well in the bowl.  Then place this in a buttered baking dish



I used mini dishes, so that I could give a few away to some ladies in my neighborhood.




In another bowl combine the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.  Then cut in the butter and shortening.



Mix together the milk and egg.  Pour into the flour mixture and stir with fork until combined






Then take blobs of the dough and place on top of the rhubarb



Keep putting the blobs on until fully covered



Sprinkle with additional sugar (about 1-2 Tbsp.)

Bake at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes



Enjoy with ice cream or whipped topping!

Ingredients:

4 cups fresh Rhubarb
1 1/2 cups Sugar
1/4 tsp Salt
2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
2 Tbsp Tapioca
1/2 tsp Almond Extract (optional, but recommended)
2 cups Flour
2 Tbsp Sugar
1/4 tsp Salt
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
1/4 cup Butter
1/4 cup Shortening
1/2 cup Milk
1 Egg
1-2 Tbsp Sugar

No comments: